When Do I Need Emergency Electrical Service?

Electricity is an essential part of our daily lives, but it can also be dangerous if not properly used and maintained. Unfortunately, electrical emergencies can occur at any time, which can put your safety and even your home at risk. Let’s discuss what home electrical emergencies are, how to recognize them, what steps you can take to prevent them, and when to call in emergency electrical services.

Electrical Fires

Electric Outlet Problems


Electrical fires are one of the most common home electrical emergencies. They can occur due to faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, a short circuit, or damaged electrical appliances. To prevent electrical fires, make sure to have a smoke detector installed in every room, avoid overloading outlets and extension cords, and regularly check your electrical wiring, circuit breakers,  and appliances for signs of damage or wear.

Electrical Shock

Another dangerous electrical emergency is electrical shock. This can happen if you touch an electrical appliance or wire that is live or faulty. Electrical shock can cause severe burns, muscle damage, and even heart failure.  If any of these occur, seek immediate medical attention. To avoid electrical shock, never touch an electrical appliance with wet hands and always unplug appliances before cleaning or repairing them.  It is also important to have an electrician inspect the electrical circuit involved before using the device or circuit again.

Power Outages

Power outages are an inconvenience that can occur due to storms, overloading, or electrical faults. While most power outages are temporary, they can cause food spoilage, heating and cooling issues, and connectivity problems. To prepare for power outages, have a generator installed or invest in battery-powered appliances.

Electrical Smells

Breaker Panel Upgrade When you smell burning

If you smell something burning or electrical in your home, it could be a sign of an electrical emergency. This odor can indicate electrical wires overheating or melting, which can cause a fire. To prevent this, turn off the main circuit in your home, unplug all appliances, and contact an electrician immediately.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Although not directly related to electrical emergencies, carbon monoxide poisoning can occur due to faulty electrical appliances such as gas heaters and furnaces. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that has no odor, taste, or color and can be fatal. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, install a carbon monoxide detector, ensure proper ventilation, and have all gas appliances inspected by a professional.

Stay Safe!

Electrical emergencies can happen at any time, and it is important to be aware of the potential dangers and how to prevent them. By adhering to the tips discussed in this blog post, you can keep yourself and your home safe from electrical emergencies. If you notice any signs of an electrical emergency, contact the professional licensed electricians at ARC Electric immediately for emergency electrical services and do not attempt to handle the issue yourself. Stay safe and stay aware!

Electrical Contractor Supporting Local Teams


Electrical Contractor Supports Local Teams

#SupportLocalTeams #capefearstorm #SoftballSeason

See ARC Electric for your projects when you need a Raleigh Electrician, for Raleigh electrical services.  Your Cary – Raleigh – Apex service electrician!

, , , , ,

Home Theater Installation

Did you know, we can provide and install all your home theater needs?